I'm a local - honest

It’s been a week since I (Yamin) have been in Hong Kong. It's like a second home to me so the traveller's agenda is out of the window.
Last Friday, I went to Juma (Friday prayers at mosque) up in Stanley Street in Central. It is on the way to the Mid-levels and if you take the walking escalators up, you get off halfway. The mosque is different to what I remembered as a kid. Perhaps it is the fresh coat of paint done recently, or maybe it's all the sky-scrapers drowning the building now.
In Hong Kong, you must do what everyone does, eat and SHOP.... But I'm sure most of you will be very surprised that I have not bought
1 single thing, aside from daily needs and food, yet. If you think I am a hardcore shopper, wait till you meet my sister. Prada knows her by first name here. When we were out last weekend, there was a Valentino exhibition at none other but the Landmark (a bit like the Beverley Centre where you can routinely shell out HKG $30,000 (AUD$5,000) on a handbag). The exhibition (albeit small) comprisea of 30 of his evening gowns from the 60s to the most recent collection. And the gowns (all in the signature Valentino red) are from haute couture to prêt-a-porter.Other times are spent going to the movies, eating out and catching up on world news. Hong Kong is probably the best place to get your fill in news because of the number of expatriates.
I did do a touristy thing today. There is a new cable car on the Lantau Island (where my sister lives) taking visitors all the way to the big Buddha statue.
Ngong Ping Skyrail is a visually spectacular 5.7km cable car journey, travelling between Tung Chung Town Centre and Ngong Ping on Lantau Island. The ride is quite amazing as the cable car ascends (and then descends) uphill, enjoying panoramic views of the Hong Kong International Airport, South China Sea, the flora and fauna of North Lantau Country Park and the Tian Tan Buddha Statue. It takes about 25 mins one way (bus will take you at least 1 hour). And there is a cheesy "Chinese" village, full of touristy shops and 7-eleven, greeting you on the way out. It was fun, especially seeing other visitors getting nervous in the cable cars on the other side, hehehe...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home