mmmmmmK. L.

We arrived here in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia (KL) about 6 days ago. We are really loving it here. Nicer than Jakarta in several ways. Yami was glad that we came to Malaysia after Indonesia since he "would have got off the plane in Jakarta and turned right back around". I agreed with him; not about turning around but I would have had to put so much more effort in to turning his frown upside down while in Indonesia.
There are clean streets, fewer touts, bars (including boy bars), booze, pedestrian signals (that people usually follow), international cuisine, shopping arcades, and great public transportation. Okay... so it sounds like I just described Pittsburg. Well it's all that plus a wonderful melting pot of cultures.
For those that don't know, a Burka is the all black robe and headscarf/veil that strict Muslim women wear. All you can see is the woman's eyes and hands; everything else is like a grim reaper Halloween costume. Noticing women wearing Burkas with subtle fab accoutrements is our version of "Slug Bug" or "I Spy". Our favorite accessory so far is wrap-around gucci sunglasses. You know under that Burka she was wearing some serious couture. We could even hear the click-clacks of her heals. Were those Manolo Blaniks?
The food stalls here are much different to the ones in Indonesia which mostly resemble a modified wheelbarrow with a wok and some stools for sitting. Most of the ones here are more like outdoor eating arcades. Some of the stalls have pooled together to make a sort of outdoor restaurant that have menus and people to take your order. Our favorite one (primarily since it's right across from our hotel) serves Chinese, Indian, Malay, Indonesian, Thai and Western. After we order the server will go around to the different stalls to put in our order. Yami and I never have to agree on what kind of food we're both in the mood for since there is so much variety. Oh and of course it's cheap; we usually spend no more than $3 usd each.
On Monday we went to Little India (Masjid India). It was a wonderful neighborhood of narrow winding streets full of sari dress shops, Indian restaurants, perfume shops, gaudy jewelers, and music shops pelting out the latest hindi pop songs, and fake label goods. I thought that any minute a random group of Indian men and women were going to divide and start dancing down the street Bollywood style. Unfortunately that did not happen no matter how much Yami and I tried to get the ball rolling....

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home